Fire Safety Just in Time For Christmas Season
Don’t FA-LA-LA- Fall Victim to Holiday Fires
Lights around a Christmas tree, candles burning favorite holiday scents and warm fireplaces are typical family practices during the holiday season. Your home is never quite as cozy and warm feeling as it is during Christmastime, which can aid in the magical feeling that this time of year brings. Although your home may feel warm and safe, pretty decorations and traditions could pose a risk for fire to your household, so it is important to be mindful of fire hazards.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, fire hazards increase 85% percent between the months of October to January. But do not worry, SERVPRO of Augusta is here to keep you safe with 14 Christmas Fire Safety Tips!
- Do not use your stove for storage or as a heat source.
- Water real Christmas trees daily.
- A safer alternative to real trees is fire-resistant artificial trees.
- Inspect all lights on your tree as you are placing them.
- Never throw wrapping paper in your fireplace.
- Follow the ‘rule of three’ when it comes to power strips to avoid risk of electrical fires. (Meaning only 3 electronics should be plugged into a singular strip at a time)
- Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from anything in the room they are being used in.
- Do not use indoor lights outside or vice.
- Set timers when baking or cooking.
- Pay attention to where you place décor.
- Place fire extinguishers all around the house, and make sure your family members know how to effectively use them.
- Use caution when it comes to using candles.
- Make sure you have functioning fire alarms with fresh working batteries.
- Have an emergency escape plan in place just in case and run through it with your household.
SERVPRO of Augusta has you covered while you deck your halls with boughs of holly. In case of fire emergency give us a call at 706-750-0200 and we’ll make it "Like it never even happened."®