What Can Homeowners Do to Mitigate Flooding in a Home Office?
SERVPRO Sends Emergency-Response Teams to Augusta Homeowners That Need Flood Damage Cleanup.
Because current pandemic safety precautions have many Augusta property owners working from home long-term, it can be easy to forget about the risk of natural disasters. As a result, dealing with damages caused by a home flood can be quite stressful, particularly when it impacts your workspace. An estimated 90 percent of natural disasters in the United States involve flooding, even in low-risk regions. With this in mind, there are several steps homeowners can take to minimize damages and a team that is ready to help when disaster strikes.
SERVPRO techs are ready to respond to flood damage in Augusta communities 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This team’s constant availability allows homeowners to minimize flood risk while maximizing cost savings related to repairing and replacing belongings and structural materials.
What Methods Can Homeowners Use to Flood Proof a Property?
Floodproofing can go a long way toward protecting your home and its belongings, saving you a considerable amount in repair and replacement costs when disasters occur. These methods include, but are not limited to:
- Wet floodproofing. One effective means of floodproofing your property is installing flood vents and constructing with flood-resistant materials. This process anticipates flooding and instead allows it to pass through highly durable materials to protect your property.
- Dry floodproofing. Dry floodproofing generally consists of improvements like tight seals for windows and doors. Membranes and seals reduce interior and exterior flood risk. Ensure that local Federal Emergency Management (FEMA) guidelines for new or substantially improved homes in your area allow for these upgrades before implementing dry floodproofing.
- Constructing floodwalls. If you have sufficient land, this method is highly effective for keeping your home safe and dry. Take a careful look at local zoning laws and regulations before commencing construction.
While these floodproofing suggestions can save you time, money, and stress in the event of a disaster, damages to your Augusta home are still possible. SERVPRO can aid you at any time of the day or night, including on weekends and during holidays, to restore your home per your insurance policy.
How Can Homeowners Get the Most Out of Their Flood Insurance Claims?
- Request multiple estimates for your property, if possible. Consider getting at least three independent estimates, if able, before scheduling repairs to your home. This process allows you to receive a more realistic estimated cost of necessary repairs to your Augusta property.
- Consider hiring a reputable public claims adjuster. A public adjuster works independently of your insurance company. These professionals assist you with your claim and maximize the compensation you receive from your insurer.
- Fill out a proof of loss claim promptly. This form should be completed within 60 days of the disaster to ensure that you get the coverage necessary to return your property to a preloss state.
- Request a certified copy of your flood insurance policy. The National Flood Protection Association (NFIP) provides the overwhelming majority of flood insurance to American homeowners. Having a copy of your policy on hand keeps you informed about your coverage while also aiding the claims filing process.
SERVPRO techs have extensive training and experience with flood damage mitigation and restoration per Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) standards. Your local team assists you by streamlining the claims filing process and coordinating with you and your adjuster during cleanup.
How Do SERVPRO Technicians Clean Up a Flooded Home Office?
A home office affected by flooding requires several levels of care that your local SERVPRO can provide. For an inch of flooding, Carpeting requires removal to minimize sanitation risks to occupants. The subflooring may also require thorough sanitation and structural drying. Depending on the amount of time since the disaster occurred, parts of the subfloor may require replacement due to warped, cupping, or cracked wood.
SERVPRO techs can perform a variety of other tasks to prepare your home office space for restoration, including:
- Moving electronics and valuables offsite for inspection, cleaning, and repairs by licensed experts.
- Elevating salvageable furniture, such as desks, shelves, and chairs, on blocks allows for on-site sanitation with EPA-registered biocides and restoration.
- Copies of essential documents that may have been affected by flooding can be stored electronically for your needs. Books on low shelves that may have been impacted by floodwaters may be more cost-effective to replace than restore.
SERVPRO of Augusta is ready to bring you mitigation services that are Faster To Any Size Disaster. You can call (706) 750-0200 at any time of the day or night to begin the cleanup process.